On the pet
- Comfortis* once a month chewable tablet is very fast and effective in controlling fleas. Give with food or after a meal.
- Trifexis* once a month chewable heartworm, roundworm, hookworm and whipworm prevention as well as flea control which includes the active ingredient of comfortis.
- Nexgard* once a month chewable treat for dogs that kills fleas and ticks.
- Cheristin* for cats once a month topical spot application for fleas
- Revolution* applied as a topical spot application will kill fleas and their eggs for one month. It is waterproof and safe for puppies, kittens, cats and dogs over 6 weeks old. It also prevents heartworms, ear mites, sarcoptic mange and the American dog tick in dogs, as well as roundworms and hookworms in cats.
- Frontline spray* used once a month will kill fleas and ticks on pets over 8 weeks old and is waterproof.
- Pyrethrin sprays* kill fleas on contact and may kill ticks. Read the instructions for which pets to use them on. They usually have a short duration of efficacy (24 hours or less).
- The Preventic Collar* is very effective for controlling ticks for 3 months on dogs only. It may be used alone or in conjunction with all of the products listed here.
- Capstar* a tablet given orally for cats and dogs which kills all fleas on the pet in one-half hour to four hours after administration.
- Sentinel* kills flea eggs and larva as well as heartworm, roundworm, hookworm and whipworm prevention.
- House-use Ectokyl foggers*or Mycodex house spray*. One fogger per 750 Sq ft of floor space is usually effective but one fogger per room is most effective. The spray can be directed onto upholstery, carpets, floors, baseboards and hard to reach areas for better coverage. This fogger and spray kill fleas, eggs, and larva. The spray also kills pupae.
- Yard- use Siphotrol* spray 2 times one week apart then every month. Follow directions on the container. ****use Pyrethrin Spray around perimeter of yard 3 foot wide every 4 weeks for tick control****
- Vacuum the carpets and mop the floors before each treatment of the house. Throw the vacuum bag out or clean the canister to eliminate as many eggs as possible in the house.
- Always use products that kill as many life stages as possible (i.E. eggs, larva, adults, pupae).
- Use all products according to the instruction label.
- Pupae may hatch as soon as 8 days after they are formed or lie dormant for 240 days. Therefore, constant control measures are needed to kill fleas as they emerge from the cocoon. That’s the reason to spray the house and the yard 2 times a week apart then every four weeks.
- All animals in the environment must be treated at the same time. The pet’s environment should be limited to an area that can be adequately treated for pests and should be treated at the same time the pet is treated to prevent cross infestation.
*AVAILABLE AT WOODWARD AVENUE ANIMAL CLINIC